Borrowing its name from that unique language – a mix of arab, sicilian, turkish, genoese, catalan and venetian words – which was used from the Middle Ages to the 19th century to connect people and cultures in the mediterranean ports and markets, Casa Sabir is a stylish early 1900’s home that opens out on to the colors and scents of the historic market of the island of Ortigia. Its balconies, facing the blue of the Ionian Sea, are a privileged viewpoint to capture the lively atmosphere created by the calls of the vendors of fresh fish and vegetables and to immerse yourself in the aromas of spices, giving you the unforgettable experience of an authentic and intense Sicily.
In the interior of Casa Sabir the charm of the original features – dating back to the beginning of the 20th century – such as the old floor tiles, the decorated plaster of the walls and the high vaulted ceilings throughout, combines with the contemporary style evoked by designer lighting, microcement finishes and handcrafted bespoke furniture, which create a sophisticated and peaceful harmony in contrast with the vitality of the market in street below. At the entrance, characterized by the minimalist touch of the polished concrete floor, there is a living area and an eye-catching wine cellar with ancient maiolica floor. From here, you enter the kitchen, the heart of the house, with a fully equipped steel island that invites you to cook produce fresh from the stalls. In this area of the house light enters in abundance through the large windows with balconies and enhances the original floor tiles and the ancient decorated walls rediscovered under the most recent plasters, in gray, pink, red and blue tones that recall the lively chromaticism of the market. Both bedrooms boast designer floor lamps,artisanal bedspread coming from the antique markets of Modica and handcrafted bedside tables and hangers made of iron and iroko wood. The master bedroom has en-suite bathroom and is characterized by the decorated vaulted ceiling, the scenographic “pece” black stone free-standing washbasin with brass ceiling-mounted tap and the central king-size bed with sea view. The bathrooms are embellished with vintage chandeliers, stone details and hand-made decorations obtained by imprinting old lace doilies on the concrete walls. Upon request we organize courses of Sicilian cuisine with our chef, who will accompany guests to shop at the nearby market guiding them in the discovery of traditional flavors.
– 40% downpayment, free cancellation till 7 days before arrival (for reservations made in 2020), till 30 days before arrival (from 2021)
– refundable damage deposit 300 euros (added to the balance and returned 48 hours after check-out in case of no damage)
– city tax: 1,5 euros/person/night up to 4 nights
– payment methods: credit card, bank transfer
– on line check-in before arrival, welcome by our staff from 4pm to 8pm (late check-in till 11pm is available with extra price), self-check-out by 10am
– paid parking Talete (about 50 mt away)
– open all year round, flexible changeover day
Health, privacy & safety | more details (pdf)
– on line concierge
– accurate end-of-stay cleaning and disinfection of the property
– linen cleaning and disinfection at high temperature in our laundry
– safe on line transactions without handling of cash on site
Facilities, services & comfort
– towel change every 3 days, bed sheet change and room cleaning every week
– air-conditioning and heating
– free Wi-Fi internet, hi-fi stereo bluetooth, library
– equipped kitchen, oven, fridge/freezer, dish washer, toaster, kettle, squeezer
– wine cellar with selection of sicilian wines
– washing machine / dryer, ironing board, iron
– eco bodysoap and shampoo, hairdryer, room slippers
– memory-foam mattresses and pillows
– step-free access not available
– parties are not permitted
– smoking is strictly forbidden and pets are not allowed
ecological cement floors, natural paints, ducted heat pump air conditioning system, led lighting, water flow reducers, ecological soaps, separate waste collection
All the artworks inside Casa Sabir are by artist and owner Luca Giannini – Info: www.lucagiannini.it
The renovation of this home was like a process of subtraction which was undertaken after discovering, almost by chance, the traces of the original 1900’s decorated plaster under the most recent wall paintings. Bringing them back to the surface was like, in a sculpture, cutting away the parts of material that hide the soul of the work. In this way we gave new life to the essence of this place, immersed in the colors of the South.
As a nude in its real skin, undressed by its unnatural clothes, this home, now made light and free again, appropriates itself again of its identity to accept harmoniously the new contemporary features.
Architectural project & interior design: Luca Giannini and Iolanda Buonomo
Supervision of the works: Luca Giannini