In the interior of Casa Sabir the charm of the original features – dating back to the beginning of the 20th century – such as the old floor tiles, the decorated plaster of the walls and the high vaulted ceilings throughout, combines with the contemporary style evoked by designer lighting, microcement finishes and handcrafted bespoke furniture, which create a sophisticated and peaceful harmony in contrast with the vitality of the market in street below. At the entrance, characterized by the minimalist touch of the polished concrete floor, there is a living area and an eye-catching wine cellar with ancient maiolica. From here, you enter the kitchen, the heart of the house, with a fully equipped steel island that invites you to cook produce fresh from the stalls. The light enters through the large windows with balconies and enhances the original floor tiles and the ancient decorated walls rediscovered under the most recent plasters, in gray, pink, red and blue tones that recall the lively chromaticism of the market.
The two bedrooms boast designer floor lamps, artisanal bedspread coming from the antique markets of Modica and handcrafted bedside tables and hangers made of iron and wood. The master bedroom, with en-suite bathroom and “pece” black stone washbasin, features decorated ceiling and king-size bed with sea view. Both bathrooms are embellished with vintage chandeliers, stone details and hand-made wall decors created with old lace doilies.
Upon request we organize courses of Sicilian cuisine with our chef who will accompany you to shop at the market to discover traditional flavors.
– 40% downpayment, balance 7 days before arrival, free cancellation till 7 days before
– on line check-in before arrival, welcome by our staff from 3pm to 8pm (late check-in after 8pm is available with extra price), check-out by 10am
– paid parking Talete (about 50 mt away)
– open all year round
Health, privacy & safety | more details (pdf)
– accurate end-of-stay cleaning and disinfection of the property
– linen cleaning and disinfection at high temperature in our laundry
Facilities, services & comfort
– towel change every 3 days, bed sheet change and room cleaning every week
– air-conditioning and heating
– free Wi-Fi, Hi-Fi stereo, books
– equipped kitchen, oven, fridge/freezer, dish washer, toaster, kettle, squeezer
– wine cellar with selection of Sicilian wines
– washing machine / dryer, ironing board, iron
– body soap and shampoo, hairdryer, room slippers
– memory-foam mattresses and pillows
– step-free access not available
– parties are not permitted
– smoking is strictly forbidden and pets are not allowed
– city tax: 1,5 euros/person/night
ecological cement floors, natural paints, ducted heat pump air conditioning system, led lighting, water flow reducers, ecological soaps, separate waste collection, Ecolabel refill body soap and shampoo
All the artworks inside Casa Sabir are by artist and owner Luca Giannini – Info: www.lucagiannini.it
The renovation of this home was like a process of subtraction which was undertaken after discovering, almost by chance, the traces of the original 1900’s decorated plaster under the most recent wall paintings. Bringing them back to the surface was like, in a sculpture, cutting away the parts of material that hide the soul of the work. In this way we gave new life to the essence of this place, immersed in the colors of the South.
As a nude in its real skin, undressed by its unnatural clothes, this home, now made light and free again, appropriates itself again of its identity to accept harmoniously the new contemporary features.
Architectural project & interior design: Luca Giannini and Iolanda Buonomo
Supervision of the works: Luca Giannini