Kimiyá, from the Arab word for “alchemy”, is a fascinating early 1900s house with an enchanting view over Modica, a jewel of the Sicilian baroque. The house is located in a very quiet street of the historic centre near the Cathedral of S. Giorgio, and is a special fusion of present and past atmospheres which make it a unique refuge for artists, writers or a romantic escape in search of a Sicily made up of silences, emotions and horizons.
Upon entering Casa Kimiyà you will find yourself magically suspended amongst the roofs and lights of Modica. The light filled internal spaces, spread across two levels, are a harmonious combination of salvaged furniture, contemporary works of art and traditional architectural features. On the first level, you will find the first double bedroom, characterised by ancient sicilian maiolicas, a bathroom, a living-kitchen area with a selection of Sicilian wines and a panoramic balcony where you can await the sunset whilst tasting a glass of aromatic Sicilian wine and admire the town as it transforms into a myriad of lights. Via the internal staircase – in black natural stone “pietra pece”– passing beneath the original front door which has been transformed into a work of art, you reach the upper level which houses the second double bedroom with bathroom, a panoramic terrace and a corner area for the little ones, equipped with a futon, drawing materials and books on arts and the environment. On the terrace, you can sunbathe or dine under the stars as your gaze embraces the entire historic center and the rocks of the valley, spanning from the ancient Jewish district of “Cartellone” to the scenographic Cathedral of San Giorgio up to the Castle of the Counts.
– 40% downpayment, balance 7 days before arrival, free cancellation till 7 days before
– on line check-in before arrival, welcome by our staff from 3pm to 8pm (late check-in after 8pm is available with extra price), check-out by 10am
– free on street parking (about 150 mt away)
– open all year round
Health, privacy & safety | more details (pdf)
– accurate end-of-stay cleaning and disinfection of the property
– linen cleaning and disinfection at high temperature in our laundry
Facilities, services & comfort
– towel and sheet change every 7 days
– air-conditioning and heating
– free Wi-Fi, Hi-Fi stereo, books
– equipped kitchen with electric hobs, oven, fridge/freezer, toaster, kettle
– selection of Sicilian wines
– washing machine, ironing board, iron
– body soap and shampoo, hairdryer, room slippers
– memory-foam mattresses and pillows
– step-free access not available
– parties are not permitted
– smoking is strictly forbidden and pets are not allowed
– city tax: 1,5 euros/person/night up
eco-resin floors, natural paints, heat pump air conditioning system, energy save lighting, water flow reducers, re-used furniture, rainwater harvesting system, Ecolabel refill body soap and shampoo
All the artworks inside Casa Kimiyà are by artist and owner Luca Giannini – info: www.lucagiannini.it
“Can a landscape have a moral value? Something which distinguishes it from any other places, not in simply physical terms, but for an intrinsic, ineffable spirit or sentiment, which blows here and nowhere else; that here consubstantially resides in the pulp of the fruit, in the whitewash on the
walls? A genius loci not so different from my boyhood fantasies about certain houses been haunted by witches, which are called patruni ‘u luocu in local Sicilian dialect” (G. Bufalino, L’Isola Nuda).
In restoring this early twentieth century house, we have endeavoured to preserve its soul, long since accustomed to silence, wind and light. Salvage design, contemporary art and furnishings from far afield alternate with local elements, thus creating a harmonious alchemy of colours and materials.
> Learn more: Project history (pdf)
Architectural project & interior design: Luca Giannini
Engineering and supervision of the works: Ing. Giovanni Giampiccolo (Ragusa)